Sunday 12 April 2015

Brain Overload

     This past weekend was spent at a SAQA Atlantic Canada retreat near Saint John. Photographer Walt Malone taught us about lighting and reflections and improving our ability to take pictures of our quilts ... so many possibilities!! The first thing for me to do is find a suitable tripod and then start experimenting. It might take a little while before I get the hang of taking excellent (well, at least better) photos.
     And then there was Show & Tell. So many awesome quilts with so many stories with so many techniques that need to be tried. I am glad that Show & Tell was broken into little segments and you actually got a chance to absorb some new ideas.  I think it is time to start dyeing cloth and painting some of the backgrounds in order to get the colour gradations that I need.
     I showed off the Bridge quilt (Crossing the HRM), my Ireland quilt and the Group of Seven art quilts. It has been suggested that the bridge quilt be priced at $1200 ... that is so shocking to me.  I can't believe that other accomplished art quilters think my work is worth that much!!
     And that is part of the problem with many artists ... we undervalue our work; we can always find someone whose work is better and therefore ours is not quite good enough.  This is work, just like working at a job or a career (except we probably enjoy doing our work more!) and in our society, work has a monetary value. I really need to think this through ... I only have a couple days to decide how much I should up the value of the bridge quilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment