Tuesday 31 March 2015

Sidetracked


     About three weeks ago I picked up the "Challenge Kit" for this year's IWK-Mayflower Quilt Guild Show & Sale. (the IWK is the Women's & Children's hospital in Halifax). Anyway ... the idea is to create something from these 4 fat quarters that can be sold at the show & sale in the fall to raise funds for the IWK. In previous years I have made place mats, a baby quilt, table runner ... this year, I wanted to do something totally different.
     I like the colours in the patterned fabric, but there wasn't enough of it to complete any ideas that I had. For a few days, the fabric sat on my cutting table ... slowly I started to pull out other colours from my stash that worked with the other three fabrics.
     There is a size restriction of 150 inches perimeter ... this piece is 20" X 26" so a total of 92" perimeter. I'm well within the limits. [Canada is a metric country ... we buy our fabric in meters, so why do we measure our quilted items in inches???]
The finished piece: "Sunset"
     The patterned fabric has become the border; the purple is in the clouds and on the border; the blue fabric is the water and the orangey-gold is part of the setting sun's reflection in the sky and on the water.
     Finished ... and not due until September! I must get back to the other items I was working on before the colours of this piece called to me! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment