Thursday 5 March 2015

A LIttle Help From My Friend

In June 2009, I bought a Husqvarna Viking Sapphire sewing machine .... and put away my old Kenmore that overheated within 20 - 30 minutes of sewing time. The store in Brampton, Ontario offered 4 free sewing lessons to go along with the purchase starting in Sept 2009.  I moved to Nova Scotia in August of that year, and never got the lessons.
So on my own, I experimented with machine quilting, getting quite good at straight lines and very simple curves, but often snagging & breaking thread or having a 'nest' of thread accumulate in the back if I tried anything more complicated.

My friend Fiona, has the same sewing machine & after a particularly frustrating day, I emailed her: "Help, what am I doing wrong?" We set up a time for a visit this week ... and with a couple minor adjustments, I was off!! It will take some practice to become a little smoother in my motions; to learn the 'driving' technique of fluid free-motion quilting, but I know I am on the right track. Thank you Fiona!!



No comments:

Post a Comment