Thursday 26 February 2015

Cathedral Windows

Thursday Feb 26th.
Wow! What a busy past week .... little time to quilt as I held my first grandchild, Charlotte!
So, another flashback for quilting.
Five years ago, I learned how to quilt the "Cathedral Windows" pattern. Once the pockets (background material) were sewn and ironed into squares, I started to add the coloured centers, hand-sewing all the blocks. I had chosen beautiful fall colours but a third of the way through the project, I realized that those were no longer the colours that I had in my house, so I started over. This time with light, airy spring colours.

My bedroom had recently been painted light green, so I created a green diamond in the centre of the quilt and finished it with a green border.
 I can honestly say that I made my bed ... not only putting the sheets & covers in their proper place, but I made both the quilt and the wooden bed frame! The woodworking teacher at our high school offered an after-school class for teachers to learn woodworking skills. Many chose simple quick patterns; I chose a bed frame that took me most of the school year to complete. The bed is white ash and VERY heavy.
The quilt looks lovely ... but all those layers of fabric make it rather heavy and warm and it has now become the quilt for the spare bedroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment