Saturday, 2 December 2017

Cats and other things

December ... and only a few weeks till Christmas.  How is it that I seem to be busier being 'retired' than I did when I was working full time?

1. My Cumberland County piece has been sold and has found a new home in Ontario. The new owner used to spend time with family in the three locales depicted: Cape d'Or lighthouse, Advocate Harbour and Spencer's Island.

2. I attended a book-binding workshop with Rhonda Miller at the NSDCC (Nova Scotia Designer Crafts Council) in Halifax ... an excellent teacher and a great workshop. I'd like to do more of that, hopefully I have made enough notes to remind myself how to repeat the process.

3. My step-granddaughter, who just turned 8 years old, loves pinks, purples and cats ... none of which is a favourite for me.  She chose bright pink paint for the walls in her bedroom and it is time for her to have a quilt that suits the room.  There is a small painting at my Dad's place that has a couple of quirky cats, and using that style and some inspiration from Pinterest, I created striped cats, ... playing around with the placement:

One small problem: Ari is a rather warm kid, so a quilt will likely be too warm most of the time.  I have decided instead to make a duvet cover.  She has a double-sized bed and I picked up a duvet from Ikea.  Hmm ... the duvet is listed as a double / queen size but after opening it and using the measurements to create a pink-purple cat top, I think it is more queen-sized than double!
Here is the top on my queen-sized bed.  It is a Mondrian - art style (Piet Mondrian was an artist in the early 1900s who created paintings with large blocks of white and primary colours outlined with black stripes.)

I am 'quilting' it, or rather sewing the top to thin white fabric without any batting, to help give it stability when the duvet is being put into the cover.  The burgundy stripes are Kona fabric and I found it was fraying a bit more than I liked. Following the burgundy sashing / binding lines by sewing in the ditch should resist the wear and tear that an 8 year old might give it.

4. Years ago, possibly 2010, I learned how to make Cathedral Squares, and I started a small 16 square cushion-sized block ... which grew larger and larger. Any time I spent time in a waiting room either for myself or driving someone to an appointment, I would pull out another section to hand-sew.  At one point, I was going to make this in to a full or queen-sized quilt, but the colours didn't match any of my bedrooms, so the ambition for it has shrunk.  It will be a twin-sized bed quilt and this past week, I finally sewed the last section to the main body.  A few more coloured blocks need to be hand-stitched, and the edges need to be tacked down, then this quilt will be done!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment