Saturday 12 November 2016

A winter quilt

     Charlotte no longer wears sleep sacks to bed and with the approaching winter, it was time to make her a flannel-backed quilt to snuggle up in during the cold winter months.  I already had the quilt top which  I made some time ago .... 2 1/2 inch strips from a jelly roll in ascending colour darkness (or light).  I cut off a 6 inch strip from one side and flipped it, giving it a 2 1/2 inch white border; I made another cut length-wise off-centre in the body of the quilt top and sewed the flipped section in, adding a 3 inch white binding to the quilt.
     Because C's Mom and Dad wanted a 'fluffier' quilt, I did minimal quilting parallel to the flipped section in the quilt.  The back is flannel, using a panel with a coordinating fabric around it to make it large enough.

     Instead of washing the flannel before using it, I waited until the quilt was done to help give a more puffy look when the flannel shrunk a wee bit in the washing / drying. Charlotte snuggled in, stayed warm and slept through the night!!

No comments:

Post a Comment