Saturday 16 January 2016

Colour Study 3, 4, & 6

     I have been working on the Colour Challenge ... just didn't get around to posting them.

     #3 is Triadic ... 3 colours evenly spaced on the colour wheel. The colours I chose are red, blue and yellow.

     Originally I had left the sky plain ... no quilting, but once I got to the corner piece which was mainly sky, I decided that I would tie all the sky pieces together and quilt them the same way. I have also not finished the edging since I am not sure what I want to do with all of the pictures yet.

     #4 is Tetradic: 4 colours which are two sets of complementary colours. In this case I chose, red & green and violet & yellow .... except it showed up blue when I took the picture. :-( The sky is a pale violet ... and looks pale blue. Hopefully when I assemble all the pieces and take the final picture with good lighting, it will be possible to see the proper colours.


     The house on the right is really a pretty shade of yellow ... kind of looks washed out here.

     # 5 is Split Complementary ... BUT the picture I chose at random was a full sky picture and I wasn't sure how I was going to work in 3 colours on basically a plain picture with a small edge of roof. I outlined the faint clouds in the photo but it still wasn't working for me so I skipped #5 and decided that my sky picture would look better in Challenge #6: Monochromatic. And I can head back and do #5 for the next set of buildings.

     So ... #6: Monochromatic: There is already a pale blue sky, a pale yellow sky and a pale violet sky; to change things up, I chose orange for this piece and because I am determined NOT to buy any extra fabric for this challenge, I really had to play around with my stash to get a good gradation of colours. I seem to be a little limited on oranges.
    
     It was at this point I decided that all skies should be quilted the same. I am also trying to match the power lines as best I can although some may jog a wee bit when connected. I think when I figure out how I am going to bind each little quilt, then you won't notice if they are straight lines or not.
I now have the top 3 pieces done and I am beginning to see a proper picture. I have noticed that for one of the houses that I actually chose the same colour twice so I will try to pick something different for the in-between block.
     Five pictures done (well, almost done as there are some fine details on the houses around the windows that probably should be added) ... four more to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment