Saturday 19 December 2015

Christmas Preparations

Busy! Busy! Busy!  and all of a sudden it is a week before Christmas.
     My daughter, Liz, repainted her condo: Wild Water (a dark blue), Universal Grey, and Ophelia (a cream/beige colour) and decided she would like new cushion covers to match. She first told me that she wanted 2 cushions at 25 inches square ... but after making the top for one, I figured something wasn't right. I'd never seen cushions that size at her place. On Skype, I had her remeasure ... ooops, she meant to say 15 inch square cushions. And could I make them kind of geometric, .... I have worked on two 15 inch square cushions and two 16 inch cushion covers.
     This is based on a Delectable Mountain pattern ... I ended up making two covers the same since I wanted to use both the grey and the creamy-grey colour as the background to the blue ... which led to enough blocks for 2 cushions.
     Lesson learned: I am not that great at Y-corner seams .. resulting in quilting the whole darn thing to make it lie flat! I like the shadow look of the blocks.
     I used the same fabric for all 4 cushion covers. This was the block that was originally 25 inches. Originally the pattern repeated with 2 blue, 2 grey, and 2 beige on each corner block ... I eliminated the extra grey and beige and sewed each block through the centre to shrink the length. A bit of quilting on top and it is ready to be stuffed.
      The pillows are at her place, so it will likely be awhile before I get to see them 'finished'.
They are her Christmas gift ... but  I know she never checks my blog, so showing them here won't spoil the surprise.
     I wasn't quite done though. She also painted her bedroom .... and could I make some pillow cases in the same colours but add a bit of white too!


     They don't quite go with my bedspread .... probably should have turned it over and had a white background.  Two pillow cases have the same fabric as the living room cushions; two cases are plain navy/white/grey.

     More projects are being completed ... pictures to follow soon!





No comments:

Post a Comment