Sunday 1 November 2015

Colour Study 1 & 2

     Where has the time gone?? How did we get to November already??
     October was busy ... helping out my daughter & her family in their move, babysitting and dog-walking; making several pairs of footed pants for C. (so she can't pull off her socks in the cooler weather); a new quilted play mat  for C; refitting a bunting bag given to me by my grandmother when Kate was born to now become a warm cover for Charlotte in her stroller and of course, the normal monthly things like quilt meetings and bees, an executive quilt meeting , writing group meetings ... and there is probably more that have slipped my mind.
     Did I get a chance to quilt! Yes ... I finished the "Crossing the Harbour" piece (a picture of that at a later date); I am working on a second possible entry piece for the SAQA Corner of My World (due by the end of this month!) and ...
     I have started a Colour Study.  Originally I thought to do the same picture (eg a door or a window) in the different colour styles, but my daughter has decided to challenge me. She has taken one of her pictures from when she lived in St John's Newfoundland and cut it into 9 sections. Randomly, I am given a section and must apply a colour challenge to it.

 Challenge #1: Complementary Colours
     Obviously a roof line with power lines running through it .... I chose orange & blue.
     Usually when working on an art quilt, I give myself a little leeway on the exactness of the picture ... but I don't think I can do that this time .... the roof lines and the power lines will need to match up somewhat closely to the pictures on either side of it.

Challenge #2:  Analogous Colours
     I chose yellow-green as the main colour along with yellow and green.
     Although I have been given a grey photograph, my daughter laughed when she saw my finished piece ... the original colour of the house in the centre is actually yellow!
     I still have a little more detail to add to the house. Each finished block is approximately 10 X  8 inches. When all the blocks are done, the final picture will be approximately 30" X 24"

Triadic and Tetradic are the next two to do. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment