Sunday 3 July 2016

Europe 3 ... a beginning

A couple more pictures to add to the Europe quilt ...

     Rothenberg, Germany, a beautiful village in Bavaria surrounded by a town wall that I walked around taking random pictures of roofs and grey skies. Our first evening we walked with the Night Watchman who recited a humorous history of invasions.  This building was in the town square.
And the original:
     I am leaving the dormers off the roof since the tiny pieces of fabric shred too much. My copy of the picture took 8 hours to complete.

    We visited 6 countries on Rick Steves Tour ... my version of Italy took 2 1/2 hours and Holland took 1 1/2 hours to complete the outlines and the major highways.
      Italy had a little mishap while working on it on the back deck (a container of bubble solution fell over and drenched it); it has been rinsed but needs to be re-ironed!

     The pictures are approximately 17 x 22 cm (7" x 10"). Each piece has been backed by fusible interfacing; the larger pieces of fabric are placed in position and smaller pieces have fusible webbing on the backs; and of course, massive stitching holds everything in place.

    The next one is the windmill in Haarlem ... 7 1/2 hours to finish the top. My original picture seems to have disappeared from my computer file ...

     Not sure yet how I'm going to put all the pieces (maps and pictures) together; I am thinking I might make skinny white borders on the pictures to match the way photos used to be printed ... once I get all the pictures done and see how big the piece is going to be, then I can make final decisions on assembling.

No comments:

Post a Comment